The female intimate area is prone to irritations and infections, because it is a body part where, due to friction, high temperatures grow, while due to vaginal discharges, there is significant humidity, especially during period. Therefore, it is really important, during our daily care, not to forget some basic rules. Thorough cleansing with specialized products, made of skin friendly ingredients or materials, will strengthen the defence of the perinatal area, protect you from irritations and help maintain a good gynaecological health.
- Cleansing: Thorough cleansing of the intimate area is essential for its hygienic care. The vagina normally has a slightly acidic pH (3,5-4,5). The disruption of pH’s balance in the area favours microbial growth. Therefore, it is better to use specialized products that respect the flora of the intimate area and contribute to its hygienic cleansing.
- Elimination of moisture: It is very important, each time we cleanse the intimate area, to wipe it thoroughly, in order to eliminate excess moisture. Otherwise, because of friction and high temperatures, the intimate area turns into an environment prone to infections and irritations. It is for the same reason that, during summer, when you go to the beach, it is recommended to change your wet swimsuit with a dry one and not let it dry on you.
- Clothes: Synthetics materials, don’t allow skin to breathe, therefore they cause sweating and development of high temperatures at the areas they cover. Especially when it comes to underwear, it is really important to choose cotton fabrics that are much skin friendlier, while they allow skin to breathe, hence protecting us from irritations. It is also very important to thoroughly rinse our underwear, when washing them, with plenty of water, in order to avoid leaving residues of detergents and softeners. Finally, it is advised to avoid very tight and stretchy clothes, especially during period, because not only will they create a feeling of discomfort but they will also cause more intense sweating.
- Sexual intercourse: Also essential to the preservation of a good gynaecological health is the adoption of a responsible sexual behaviour. During a sexual intercourse we should not forget to use a condom, in order to protect ourselves from sexually transmitted diseases (e.g. syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomonas etc.), while it is recommended to always cleanse the area afterwards.
- Period: Especially during period, it is important to meticulously follow all cleansing and hygiene rules. You should also change napkins regularly (approximately every 3-4 hours), particularly during the first days when you experience heavier flow.
- Regular preventive gynaecological check: For your intimate area’s safe care, it is important to visit your gynaecologist regularly, for a preventive general check, and not only when you experience some sort of discomfort. The annual gynaecological check will help you identify or prevent any gynaecological problems. Hence, it is advisable to incorporate it to your program and not neglect it because you have a pressing daily life or because you feel uncomfortable.
- Selection of the appropriate product: It is very important, when choosing personal hygiene products, to prefer those with skin friendly properties, which hygienically protect without irritating skin. For example, pantyliners with a 100% cotton cover is an excellent choice, since cotton is the most skin friendly and pure material that could come into contact with your skin. Also, if you have sensitive skin, there are napkins with a Sensitive cover, that offer optimum efficiency and skin friendliness to the maximum.
In collaboration with Dr Olga. E. Bikou, Obstetrician-Surgeon-Gynaecologist